Last night I attended the Iris Awards at the Mom 2.0 Summit. They were recognizing amazing writers across the blogosphere. While I sat there listening, I realized that so many of them were recognized for telling their stories in compelling ways. Either through sharing their hardships, sharing their passions or sharing the causes they hold dear. Each writer did this in a different way. Many write moving essays that can bring you to tears, just as many write humorous anecdotes that make you think you are going to pee your pants, while others tell their stories through their amazing pictures.
Years ago, this blog was much more about me, my family and my stories. Somewhere along the way I decided to chase the traffic and moved more towards food (because people love a good recipe) and then travel (because I love a good trip to the beach). These days I feel like less and less of ME comes through on the blog. I have tried to bring it back a bit with my Chasing Happy series but I am still left with a question of what I want this little piece of the internet to be and how I can show more ME while still making it a space that you, my readers, enjoy.
So since I am a bit compelled to share a bit more of me with you, here are a few things you might not know about me…..
1. I am on all the social media platforms but Instagram is my true love. If you follow me over there, you will see lots of my personal life that never *quite* makes it to the blog. Plus lots of pictures of my boy and my dog.
2. I am one of 5 kids. I was an only child for the first 11 years of my life. My parents got divorced and then remarried to others so I ended up with 3 sisters (Maeve, Jennifer & Victoria) and one brother, Patric. They all still live in Alabama.
3. Though I live in Calgary, I am from Alabama originally. I also lived in Lake Charles, LA and Austin, TX in between.
4. My name IS actually Merry on my birth certificate. I was born 3 days before Christmas so my mom named me Merry.
5. I graduated with a Chemical Engineering degree and a Marketing Minor from the University of Alabama. I did work in my field (ish) for almost 15 years before changing to work in social media, writing and blogging….and no, I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my degree.
6. Most people think I am really outgoing but I am also quite a bit of an introvert. I also suffer from anxiety. It means I can have quite the mixed bag of feelings about life in general. To read my writing about my struggles in this arena, check out my Chasing Happy series.
7. My hair started turning grey when I was 18 and I have dyed it ever since. While in the corporate world, I kept it to “colors found in nature” but now I love playing around with the color a lot.
8. I am a terrible housekeeper who loves to organize (ha!) my house in piles. My office currently needs a 7 year lightening induced forest fire to get it under control. I obviously do not take pictures in that area of my house…..ever.
9. I love to cook, bake and share recipes. My biggest struggle is taking pictures that look appetizing and make you want to read the recipe. It is one of the biggest things I think I need to improve on my blog and the thing I am most resistant to do (not sure why). Thank you for believing me that my recipes are great even if the pictures are sometimes blurry and from my…gasp….iPhone.
10. Travel is my passion and I would love to travel the world full time. Unfortunately work, school and life responsibilities keep that from happening but you never know….
11. 2015 is a big year for me. Dewey and I are celebrating 10 years of marriage in June and I am turning the big 4 – 0 in December.
So what did you think? Are these things you already knew? Do you care? What is something I don’t know about YOU?
Aaaaannnndddd….my commenting is STILL broken so if you would like to comment, please head over to the FB page!