Spring has seemingly sprung in Calgary but I know better than to think it will stick around. While we have sunny skies and warm temperatures this week, next week could bring blizzards. Thankfully, we do generally get slightly warmer temperatures consistently in the spring months in Calgary. While it isn’t exactly like living in a warmer climate, I’ll take it. Hibernation is officially OVER.
Here are some of my favorite things to do during Spring in Calgary. Perfect for the new found nice weather or to enjoy some of our spring snow (that you KNOW is coming).
Activities for Warm Spring Days in Calgary:
- Head to the mountains – Even without buckets of snow, Spring is a great time to take a drive to the mountains. The pic above was taken years ago on a drive in May. The weather was cool but the vistas are gorgeous. It’s also a great time to see new Spring animal babies later in the season.
- Explore Calgary’s Parks – Spring in the parks is great fun for kids. Puddles galore make for great splashing and it is warm enough to enjoy the playgrounds easily. Bowness Park recently re-opened and is ready for visitors!
- Find a new playground to visit – It is easy to get into a playground rut. Why look any further when the neighborhood playground has everything you need? Well, there are some pretty awesome playgrounds in Calgary that are worth the drive. Check out the Calgary Playground Review blog to find great ideas about which playground to visit next.
- Go to Aggie Days at the Saddle Dome on April 11th and 12th. It is free and kids love it. There are lots of baby animals to pet and kids learn about where their food comes from.
- Visit the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller. – Less snow and warmer temperatures means easier highway travel. The museum also promises to be less crowded than the busy summer months (as long as you avoid Spring Break).
- Go skiing at COP – COP is still open for the season even with the warm weather AND they’ve lowered their prices to $19.88 for a lift pass.
- Visit the Calgary Zoo’s Dinosaurs Alive – The animatronic dinosaurs at the Calgary Zoo are coming back to life starting March 19th.
Activities for Snowy Spring Days in Calgary
- Try out snow shoeing – You can rent an entire snow shoe package for $20 and get trail recommendations. Not up for a full on snow shoe trek? Head to Nose Hill Park!
- Plan a winter getaway – I’m only partially kidding. The only way that I can live in Calgary is to escape during the winter for somewhere warmer. This year hasn’t been too bad for weather but in past years a getaway has been a definite must. Some of my favorite getaways are Mexico and Bali.
- Make snow ice cream – We always did this in Alabama but I’ve never done it here. I bet Evan would love it. I may try this recipe for Peppermint snow cream from Wife, Mom, Geek.
- Have an epic snow ball fight at the park – I know, I know…it’s not top on YOUR list of fun things to do but your kids will remember it and talk about it for ever more.
- Go for a walk – I know, it’s snowing BUT you will be amazed how snow falling makes everything look magical…even your neighborhood.
Want to save a bit of cash while you are out and about in Calgary? Check out these great Calgary Attractions coupons for many great places to visit.
Also remember that you can find out the latest and greatest family friendly events by checking out the Events Calendar on Family Fun Calgary.