There are a few recipes that are iconic holiday recipes. For me, one of those is this Nuts and Bolts recipe. I love making a huge batch of the salty, savoury snack mix to have on hand when visitors pop by. I also love to bag it up to give away to neighbors, friends, teachers, etc. It is so versatile. I’ve substituted different cereals and crackers when I haven’t been able to find the one called for.
Package it in Mason Jars, holiday themed plastic bags or in any fun container that is air tight. Add a ribbon and a tag and voila it is ready to give.
Oh, and there is totally no reason you can’t make this in the summer to keep around for snacks. Really, this Nuts and Bolts recipe can be enjoyed at any time of the year.
The only “issue” with Nuts and Bolts (if you can even call it an issue) is that some people only like one thing in it. My son LOVES the Cheese Crackers so if you let him near the big container, it will soon have ZERO cheese crackers. I really love the Shreddies (or Wheat Chex) so I gobble those up. If your family doesn’t like something or really loves something, you can always change the ratio to make the recipe yours. You can even make more of the sauce and just add MORE of whatever your family loves. It’s the holidays….it’s the time to enjoy what you love!
Nuts & Bolts Snack Mix - A Great Homemade Christmas Gift
Our favourite Christmas treat - homemade snack mix.
- 4 cups Shreddies
- 4 cups Cheerios
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups pretzel rods
- 200 g Cheese Bits crackers, or similar
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup salted, regular butter
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder, not garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Mix cereals, pretzels, cheese crackers and mixed nuts in a large turkey roaster.
- In a microwave proof bowl, combine butter, Worcestershire sauce and spices.
- Microwave until the butter is melted and stir (about 30 seconds).
- Pour butter and spice mixture over cereal mixture and stir.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes (make sure to get in to the corners!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 526mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Looking for more great Holiday Recipes? Try these!
Homemade Christmas Gift – Slow Cooker Apple Butter
No Bake Peanut Butter Crunchies; An Easy Christmas Treat!
Easy, Delicious Brie, Apple and Thyme Melts Appetizers
Holiday Baking Memories; Magic Cookie Bars
Glittery Fun Christmas Cookies
Easy Rudolph the Reindeer Pops