Today there is a bake sale at Evan’s school. I started wracking my brain for what I could make to take in when Evan said “I know! Let’s make a Pizza Cake! I know just what to do!” I know people love cake tutorials and he put so much thought into it that I thought you might enjoy checking out his idea. The pizza cake turned out really cute and we hope it will go well at the bake sale.
Here are my tutorial pictures. The full recipe and instructions can be found at the bottom of the post.
First gather your supplies. This recipe will make two one layer pizza cakes. You will need two vanilla round cake layers made from a box or your favorite recipe, a large can of vanilla frosting (or homemade if you like), yellow & red food coloring, sweetened flake coconut and gummies.
Make yellow frosting (add yellow food coloring and one drip of red to the vanilla frosting) and red frosting for the crust and the sauce.
Sprinkle the red frosting with a light coating of sweetened coconut.
Add gummies for toppings. Any gummies can work, they don’t have to look like real toppings.
Cut them up if you like to make them look more like toppings. We cut up green gummie bears to look like green peppers.
Easy peasy and it looks just like a pizza but tastes just like cake. Evan was SO PROUD of his decorating skills. Now to see if it sells at the bake sale. We donated one and kept one at home so I won’t be forced to buy our own cake back.
Kids Cake Tutorials: Pizza Cake!
A fun recipe that is perfect to make with your kids.
- 2 cake plates or serving platters
- wax paper
- 2 round vanilla cake layers, prepared from a box or your favorite recipe
- 495 gram canister of vanilla frosting
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
- sweetened flake coconut
- gummies and candy to use as toppings
- Take three ~3 inch tall strips of wax paper and arrange them around the edges of two separate cake plates (where you will leave them to display). You want all of the cake plate edges to be covered once you place your cake layer on top but without too much wax paper underneath the layer so it is easy to remove later.
- Place each cake layer on top of the wax paper.
- Divide your vanilla frosting into two bowls (half in each).
- Add yellow food coloring with one drop of red food coloring into one bowl and stir. This will be your crust color.
- Add red food coloring to the other until you have a dark red color for the sauce.
- Frost the sides and one inch of the top of each cake layer with the yellow crust frosting.
- Add red frosting to the middle of your cake layer and then spread towards the outside. Leave the crust edge showing so your cake layer will look like a pizza.
- Add your toppings. Sprinkle with sweetened coconut first and then add your gummies. You can cut up your gummies to make them more topping like if you prefer.
- Slide the wax paper out from under the cake to clean up any frosting drips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Saturated Fat: 2gSodium: 678mgCarbohydrates: 107gSugar: 67gProtein: 4g